Tuesday, January 3, 2012

DIY Insulin: Biohacking anyone?

Whether you suspect that the U.S. (and/or the global) economy is headed for a deflationary depression or a hyper-inflationary crash (I can't decide which I'd prefer...) where will diabetics get the insulin and diabetic paraphernalia they need to survive if the electronic payments/banking system seizes up for more than a couple weeks?

I don't think of myself as a 'prepper' but this diabetic stuff which affects my immediate extended family, has got me wondering.

Now I'm thinking of DIY biotech and what bio-hackers could do in garage or basement labs.  John Robb has a recent post featuring a Twitter exchange w/ a biohacker that draws an analogy between the growth of hardware hackerspaces and bio hackerspaces.  They suggest that the opportunity is in industrial biotech  due to lower or no regulation, rather than in medicine or food crops.  Maybe someone is developing DIY biotech for diabetic pets...

No comments:

Post a Comment