Friday, July 29, 2011

Dog-food Principle: Refine your product/tool by using it yourself!

I liked this from Patri Friedman:
During my 4 years at Google, I learned the “dog-food” principle – a product is better if the development team *uses* that product while developing it. We switched to gmail, to google calendar, and other products as soon as they met our bare minimum needs.
The result was that development was informed by practical experience with the product, not aggregated surveys by marketing firms of random customers. (From A Thousand Nations blog)
 This applies to my work on MiiU.org, the Community Resilience Wiki. I've already started searching MiiU.org when I'm looking for resilience-related information to see if someone has already started a page on that topic. And you, dear reader, could be the one to create or contribute to the next cool MiiU.org page!

No comments:

Post a Comment